Friday, June 12, 2009

Back in Santa Clara






These pictures are of my host mother in Santa Clara, Ruperta, and her granddaughter Misel. Misel is really cute and has tons of energy that tends to get repressed. Ruperta normally looks happier than this, but it seems like she stiffened up for the camera.

It finally happened, just like I knew it would. I was sitting on the couch last night and suddenly a gecko fell on me. I knocked it off and all of a sudden Ruperta started whacking it with her shoe, and its tail fell off and was wriggling all over the place. I thought that was a little extreme and unnecessary, but otherwise the whole situation was pretty funny.
This week we have been playing soccer after classes before it gets dark, tourism vs. agriculture. So far it is 1-1, but the finals are tomorrow.
I've been taking more Ngabere classes this week, and they have been really interesting. Today is supposed to be the last one, but I am missing it right now because of the way everything is set up. To make a complicated description short, I am at the PC offices right now while I should be taking my final language class. I've already been shorted one, so this sucks. 7 classes is definitely not enough, let alone 5. It's just basically an introduction and I guess I'll just have to fend for myself. At least Rolando gave us the manual he has written about grammar with a little Spanish/English/Ngabere dictionary. So I guess I will study that to supplement what I can learn from my community. It makes me mad though because I told Pablo I thought that it was more important that I go to language rather than come here to make some stupid lesson plan copies that I can do anytime, but he wanted me to come here. So here I am, wasting my time when I could be learning something useful. Oh well, I guess it makes Pablo happy. . . .
Anyway, I am excited to visit Chichica next week, but I really don't want to travel anymore for a while, especially with half of my stuff. It's going to be tough packing everything around.
Last night my host mom was so cute, she asked me what I wanted for breakfast and informed me that we were going to the tienda to buy my breakfast, which we haven't done before. So we walked over and she kept asking me if I wanted this or that, and she made me pick out some ice cream and everything. We are also going to head over to another town either this afternoon or tomorrow to go to the bank because my ATM password isn't working, and I also need to buy some things before I head back to the comarca. Well, that's about all for now, I guess I will probably write again by next Wednesday when I get back.

3 comments:

  1. Love all the pics. Sounds like you are in the middle of a grand adventure. Dadoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...make sure the phone number you gave me is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos. Looks like you have a smile on your face and a song in your heart. (Anytime to practice the guitar?).

    ReplyDelete