Saturday, July 25, 2009

Housing!!!

Oy ve, these past few weeks have been a little challenging in regards to housing. I have been trying to find where I´m going to live after the homestays (as well as coordinating the homestays, which is another issue), but it is proving to be a sensative situtation because several people have offered to either let me live with them (which I don´t want to do) or build a house right next to theirs. I have a couple options that are located right next to the school but it is also right next to the road, which means it is probably more risky because they have had a recent increase in theft along the road. This lady though is really nice and would probably be a huge help in learning languages because she is a teacher. There is also another teacher next to the school with an empty shed next to her house which could easily be converted into a house, but again, it is next to the road.

My other option is to build next to the family I am living with right now, which I am fine with, but they want to put the house closer to the other houses than I am comfortable with. There is a nice flat spot 50 yards down the hill that is practically my ideal spot, and I´ve been trying to talk them into that spot instead of the one 10 feet away, but they say they want me that close because it would be safer and there is no water down there. I guess it would be slightly safer but I am willing to risk it because I really would like more privacy than what I´ve been getting. Also, with the water issue I could build a rainwater catchment system, and during the dry season I could haul buckets. And with the latrine issue, I would honestly prefer building my own little bathroom to compost my poop rather than have to use their latrine. It is more private and doesn´t stink. So I´m not really sure how to go about all this, trying not to offend people. They are all really nice to offer their help though, and I think at the end of all the drama I will have a nice little house (hopefully) all to myself, that even will have a cement floor. Apparently only 6% of houses in the comarca don´t have dirt floors, and I think a good proportion of them happen to be in my community. I just hope Orlando doesn´t go and chop down the nance tree and start clearing the ground before I can talk him into letting me build below.

So far I haven´t done much other than pasear (which is pretty much just walking around talking to people). I have also been trying to study spanish and ngobe, and prepare my classes that are starting next week. I frequently have doubts about my abilities, especially in regards to the people who are already leaders in the community. But I think in general I can probably help in some way, even if it´s just practicing English with the community. The education system just isn´t sufficient for the requirements that are in place, and most of the kids are failing in English. Even the English teachers struggle, most of them have an intermediate level or below. And a lot of teachers are required to teach English when they don´t know a word of it. I am not qualified to teach Spanish, so why should they be required to teach a language that they know nothing of?

Next week is English Week at the secondary school, and I have been invited to participate in it, although I am not quite sure what that entails, and when. But whatever, at least they invited me. Most of the professors seem to be pretty nice, although I find it hard to talk to them because of my language level. It is easier for me to talk to the Ngobes because they speak slower and less. My spanish is gradually improving, but I´m sure it will continue to be challenging during this first year. I have only managed to pick up a few new phrases in Ngabere, but I´m hoping that my next homestay will help with that.

In August I will be living with a retired teacher, but she is still really busy travelling all over the place working with all sorts of stuff. It seems like she will be a good person to know. I just met her the day before yesterday because she has never been around when I´ve been looking for her, but she seems really nice. She has offered to show me around the surrounding communities, and she can show me how to make the artisanry as well as speak Ngabere. One of these days I need to get a Nakwa and hat.

I am finding it easier and easier to climb all these hills, I am going to be in excellent shape shortly. I will be able to run up the mountain eventually (I wish). I pretty much am all muscle right now, my fat is entirely gone. Ana keeps giving me clothes that don´t fit her and tells me that she is going to fatten me up because I eat hardly any rice. I don´t know how they think 2 cups of rice is hardly any, but whatever. I´ve had to take in my size 8 pants because they fall off my butt, I am probably down to a 6 or maybe even a large 4. Besides, it doesn´t help that my clothes are getting all stretched out from being washed in a stream and line dried. My watch really stinks right now, I think it is moldy. I´ve washed it with soap and soaked it in clorox but it still stinks. I´ll have to try again when I get back. I have a couple shirts that I just can´t get the BO out no matter how much I scrub them. Anyone have any laundry suggestions, or are they doomed?

Tonight I am in Santiago looking forward to a tasty meal at the greek guy´s restaurant next to my hotel, and I also have a shower and a flushing toilet! Woo hoo! I had to make a special trip to buy supplies for my classes, like some sidewalk chalk for the kids class on saturdays, and I want to buy a bingo game which will work for many different things. You just can´t get stuff like that in Tole, and definitely not in Chichica.

Well, that is all for now. I don´t think I have any new photos this week, which is unfortunate. I really should be taking more pictures, but every time I bring out anything electronic the batteries end up getting used up by the family. One thing that could come in handy (for anyone who plans on visiting me) would be a solar panel to charge my stuff.

Bueno, ja tuaita and hasta luego.

1 comment:

  1. That last sentence was for me wasn't it? We'll see. Dadoo

    ReplyDelete