Hi everyone, I am in a much better mood than last time, especially due to the fact that the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts (Muchachos y Muchachas Guías) has gotten off to a good start. There are around 20 kids that are going to participate, and every one of them are really enthusiastic. I just hope I can help them keep the enthusiasm going, that will be the hard part. But we have some really fun activities planned up until April, so hopefully that will keep them interested for at least the next few months. We had our first activity about self-esteem and planned for the swearing in ceremony for Jan. 9, and they were all excited to be able to participate in the ceremony. I wrote out parts for them to read that explains the goals of scouting and had volunteers to lead a flag ceremony, a song, and one boy even volunteered on his own to do a speech about Muchachos Guías. This really says a lot, it´s like pulling teeth to get anyone to volunteer to do anything around here, even if it is something as simple as read a sentence. We are trying to plan on having a trip through Panama for anyone who advances to Eagle Scout by the end of this year (I have sped up the process a little bit so it doesn´t look impossible to them). My hopes are that the program will be successful enough and have enough community involvement eventually that it will continue after I leave.
In other news, not much else to report except that I will be out of my site for Christmas visiting my host mom Ruperta. I will let you know how the holidays go later on. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment