Monday, May 3, 2010

My vacation in Utah





















This has been a nice two weeks, apart from my dog dying on me. I have spent a lot of time with my family and have crammed my belly day after day with the most delicious foods that I have been craving for a year. I am sure I have gained 10 pounds, and I am probably going to be out of shape for climbing all those hills. But that's ok, I have also been able to sleep in every day, in a nice soft bed with a quilt. And take long hot baths and showers. And not have to shower twice a day because I am so sticky and sweaty from all that humidity. I have just loved all the dry desert air! But the weather has not cooperated much. For most of the time it has been cold and rainy/snowy, with only about two days of really nice spring weather.

It has been very good to see my family and a few of my friends, but I am excited to get back to Panama and get back to work there. There may be fewer creature comforts, but I am perfectly fine with all of it. There is so much we have here that is honestly not necessary, and it's been a great experience to get back to the basics.

I would have liked to hang out with more of my friends here but I had so many things scheduled that I was unable to fit in more activities. I went to the dentist and doctor to get checkups, I had four family dinners, I went and talked to Mrs. Kay's junior high English classes, and I did quite a bit of stuff with my mom and Amy and Jeff. I also stayed a night at my dad's house where we watched a couple concerts, David Gilmour and the Freddy Mercury tribute concert. I went to see How to Train Your Dragon with Amy. I went on a ride around Nephi and up on the Nebo Loop, until we reached snow and had to turn around. I also had to put my dog to sleep, which took up a good part of a day. I helped mom by tilling part of her yard, weeded the flowers, mowed the lawn, cleaned part of the house and her car, and cleaned up the gravel dragged all over by the snow plow. Today I took a walk because it was finally nice spring weather, and I visited Don and Rula Gowers and my grandma. I watched MST3K with Amy. I played the piano a little bit, which was nice because I've wanted to for a long time. I also played Guitar Hero with Jeff and Amy, and Jeff is finally better than me, I hate to admit. But I can still kick Amy's butt!

I just got done packing, which I have procrastinated because I am not looking forward to carrying all that. My backpack is full of food, presents for my Panamanian friends, and stuff for classes. It is going to be heavy! But if Mom had her way, I would be carrying half her house back with me.

Well, it is getting really late and I must get up early to go to the airport, so I will go now. I think I will spend a little time with Ruperta but I have to get back to Chichica because a couple of Peace Corps trainees are coming to stay with me for a couple days and I need to be there to meet them and I want to get everything ready for when they come. We'll see. Hasta el proximo.

No comments:

Post a Comment