Thursday, March 17, 2011

Near the End...


Cerro Punta, the land of eternal spring




The new farmers market building that was just opened in Chichica


The tourism group dancing at the inauguration of the farmers market (note how they didn't bother to sweep up the little pile of cement)


A huge cruise ship passing through the canal, it is taller than the four-story museum!


The current Peace Corps office. They are going to change location soon


The Bridge of the Americas in the distance as seen from Ciudad del Saber

Well, here I am after attending my Close of Service Conference. It is amazing how these two years have already passed. It has been so quick, mostly because I have always had things to do and places to go so there has never been enough time. Our group met all together for the last time before we all go our seperate ways. About one third of the group has asked to extend, including me. However I think that I am going to change my mind and go home at least for a little while in order to help my mom, and not extend my time here. I have been struggling with the decision for a while, weighing the pros and cons of each, and I guess it is best to go home even though I have a lot of reasons for wanting to stay. So it looks like I will be coming to stay in July, at least for a little while!

So anyway, what has happened since the last post. I spent a couple days in Cerro Punta with Mile, where it was beautiful and cool as always. That was where I went for carnaval, while everyone else went to party! I developed another cold as I was traveling though, which I still am trying to get rid of all the way. Then I had to head back to Chichica for a long day's work. Tourism meeting, setting up Elige Tu Vida again with the ornery subdirector of the high school, and lots of talking to community members. I was really tired, especially because I was still sick with the cold. Then I had to travel to Panama City for the COS conference, which took about 12 hours. It is funny that it takes longer for me to get from Chichica to the hotel in the city than it takes to fly back to Utah. We're talking about a drive maybe from Cedar City to Salt Lake City, if that far.

I have been trying to take advantage of having computers in every spare moment but there is still not enough time for everything! And in the conference the told us about the close of service process that we have to go through, which is a lot of interviews, medical exams, signatures, and lots of random stuff. So I have quite a lot to do before leaving, including wrapping up my projects in Chichica before I go. I am not really sure about what is going to happen with my relationship with Mile. Well we'll see I guess. Anyway, I still have a lot to do in the office so I had better get back to work. Oh my aching head!

No comments:

Post a Comment