Sunday, February 28, 2010

Back home in Chichica

So, it appears that once again I have jinxed myself. I started saying that I hadn´t gotten sick really, not even a cold, and here I am now with a cold. I should keep my big mouth shut. I think it was mostly because I have been doing a lot and have been tired, and I just need to rest more. That and look for more limes to eat. Here I am with my neighbor Loli, I am at the peak of my cold and my skin is covered in whatever these stupid zit things are that get worse when I am tired, and Loli had just been playing with my hair. So I look pretty special, and Loli has a wierd look on her face too, I told her she looks like a monkey.



As I suspected, most of my students have dropped out of the classes. I only have about 6 of them now, but I hope to start helping out at the schools soon. Classes start in a week, so I am going to see if the teachers want help in the classroom or maybe I can do tutoring after school to help the kids with what they are learning in school. I think I will have to push back my leadership workshop a little farther, I think it will take more money than what I had originally anticipated and I still need to find a good place and time to have it, and a couple people to help me facilitate it would be nice. So it will probably have to be after my trip back to the states because I haven´t had any time to be working on it. Now I will be able to start preparing a little more.

The last few days I have been busy still but trying to get more rest to get over this cold. I have been looking for some bamboo to buy to fix up my shower, it is falling apart quickly. I also want to have a bed because I am growing tired of the cot. It works, but I am ready for something a little more comfy and that will work better with my mosquito net. So I went and bought three canes from my neighbor Felipa. I cut them down and hauled the smallest one over, but it was hard doing it alone so I need some help for the bigger ones. I still need to find about 4 more to buy, but they will need to come from farther away. Woo hoo, as I would say in Chichica, voy a cargar bastante cañasa para el baño de alla lejos.



Guess what, as you can see I now have chicks! My chicken had disappeared for the longest time and she hasn´t been coming to my house to eat for over a month, but my neighbor Encarnaciona came up to me and told me that my hen had hatched some pollitos. So I took her to my house and tied her up so she wouldn´t wander off again, and built a little temporary shelter until I can do something a little better in the next couple days. My pollitos are really cute now, but wait to see them in a couple weeks. They will be so ugly! Well, at least they are not the "pollos pelados," the ones that don´t have any feathers on their necks. I think those ones are really ugly. If they don´t die I will now have a couple extra to eat. Mmm, chicken and rice. Can´t get enough of it. . . Here is a video of them.



P.S. Just a reminder, please "vote" for your choice of souvenir and let me know who wants what so I know what I am getting for everyone. I don´t want to buy a hat that doesn´t fit anyone either, so if you want a hat please measure your head for me as well. ¡Gracias!

No comments:

Post a Comment