Hey guys, what´s up?
I´m just working on the project management and leadership seminar (looks like I will have to do it in April after all) so I´m getting a little legwork done on that. It is so HOT!!! It must be at least 95 degrees in here if not more. I hate coming to San Felix. But I needed to take money out of my account so here I am.
So I guess the neighbors are going to have a wild shindig tomorrow night. They are throwing a dance to celebrate the foundation of the comarca and also to raise funds to put a floor in their store. I helped them haul the small mountain of beer and soda down the hill, there are probably a hundred cases of beer, seco (panamanian equivalent of vodka), and rum, and about 8 cases of soda. So I think I will make an early appearance and then disappear once things start getting crazy.
I renovated my baño because the old one was falling to pieces. So now I have a bamboo shower that is still doorless but I will have to figure that out later. At least it covers more than it used to. Also, that day a group of gringos from Kansas appeared at my house after installing a water purification system at Tía Lipa´s house. So I talked to them for a bit. One of the guys was a doctor that says he´s been here several times doing volunteer medical work, but he still can´t even pronounce the word Ngäbe (it´s pronounced like Nawbey, for all you who don´t know - he says it Newbie). Anyway, they were nice and were excited to share they water purifiers with the communities around here. I hope that the people will actually use and maintain them properly, we´ll see about that.
Also this week there was another meeting with the community and the community development program in Peace Corps to talk about sending a business volunteer here. It is looking more and more like a sure thing, the sub-director sees a lot of potential here for that program (which is why I recommended it, although she was skeptical at first). So I will probably get a site-mate in October. I hope we click, it would suck to have to share the town if we don´t get along.
What else has happened. . . oh yeah, it looks like I will be teaching classes one full day a week in the elementary school. Apparently they no longer have an actual english teacher like they did last year so I will be stepping in to help. I still have yet to talk with the high school director about what I will be doing with them, she ran out on my appointment yesterday. Typical.
Also, it´s official. I have purchased my plane ticket for April 19 and will be returning here on May 4, so make room for me in your schedules during this time! I plan on gorging myself on all my favorite foods, visiting family and friends, and doing some fun and relaxing stuff for a few days. Well, it´s hot and I need to get more work done and actually get back to Tolé before 5:00 so I don´t miss my chiva, so I´d better go now. I don´t have any new pictures this week, my apologies. Ja tuaita!
Cant wait to see you next month! (with my hammock!!!) Everyone here has contributed what they can to raise funds for your airline tickets.
ReplyDeleteI'm SO excited about your visit! It's going to be great. Dadoo
ReplyDelete