Hey all, it´s me again. So I just got back from San Felix from an appointement with Proyecto Ngäbe-Buglé, and it looks like this guy is really excited to help out with the seminar. In fact, he wants to implement this training for all the government officials in the comarca, and he wants Peace Corps to help out with the trainings and model it after the PC training. So it looks like I will be helping out with another seminar in Chichica in May the week after I get back from Utah. He is going to attend my seminar to get an idea of our methods and also help facilitate for the part about interacting with agencies. So that´s looking good at least.
However, I have been dismissed from teaching in the elementary school after teaching there for three days. I went over on Monday morning to teach kindergarten when one of the teachers told me to meet him in the principal´s office. So I go over there and he said that I couldn´t teach there anymore because I am not an employee of the school system. I don´t quite believe that story because PC volunteers are teaching in the schools all over the country, but whatever. They are just shooting themselves in the foot and hurting the kids as well, because they need to teach english when they themselves don´t speak ten words of English. I was definitely getting weird vibes from the whole situation anyway, so I guess it wasn´t extremely shocking when they told me that I couldn´t teach anymore.
I just got some random phone call from this guy that was in Chichica clear back in October that kind of followed me around for an afternoon, and I was trying to shake him off that day and even though he tried really hard to get my phone number I managed not to give it to him. But somehow he managed to get it anyway, the only way I think is he must have gotten it from my neighbors. So anyway, he has called me a couple times now and I told him just now that I was busy working but he wouldn´t hang up. It was awkward. Plus I was having a hard time understanding him, it being over the phone and all and people around here don´t talk very clearly sometimes. Whatever again. It is funny how in the states nobody would notice that I was in the room, but here I stick out like a fly in the milk and all the men are like, "ooh, let´s go flirt with the gringa." It´s a good thing I don´t even know how to flirt back in the first place, because I am sure it could create image problems for me. I try not to be rude, but I just don´t have time for this kind of thing! However, it does get me lots of free sodas.
Although it is so hot right now, I almost don´t mind that much because it is so nice and dry. Probably not quite as dry as Utah but it´s great! My matches don´t get all gummy and the clothes dry within two hours and you don´t have to worry about getting home before it rains. I´m sure all the paths are going to be treacherous when it starts raining again because they are just inches of dust right now. I can see myself sliding down the steepest part of the walk back down to my house! It will be like sledding, only in red mud.
The other night the full moon was great, my neighbor and I sat out and enjoyed it while she told me stories. I asked her to tell me about the witch of Cerro Plata, which is the hill that we live by, and she told me all sorts of stories. As she said, they were stories that are just stories to pass the time, and also stories that were true. The scary stories almost always involve witches.
I am sorry, but again I am not able to post pictures because I am stuck at the same computer that doesn´t read my camera´s files. However I can´t change it because I had to wait for two hours to use this computer, so it´s gotta be what it´s gotta be. I am hungry, but I don´t really want to eat anything fried or rice, which pretty much cuts out most of the food around here. Hmm, what to do?
Well, not much else to report, I´ve just been teaching English, never to the same students twice, sleeping, attempting to keep my house cleaner because I found a dead mouse drowned in a dirty pot, picking ants out of my peanut butter and killing the random scorpion in my house, feeding my babies (my chicks) and eating the eggs that my hen is laying every day now. I have to say, my hen is just about the perfect hen. She is laying eggs every day, which is good because most only lay every other day. She is very well mannered, she never comes in my house but waits at the door for food when she is hungry. And lately, she hasn´t even come for food at all but just lays her egg where I trained her to and then leaves. So I don´t even have to buy her so much corn. The babies are also obediently sleeping where I trained them to, and are starting to grown in some of their real feathers. Later I will eat them, especially the one rooster. He is totally useless except for soup.
I am excited to visit everyone, although I am not looking forward to the trip. It´s going to take two whole days of travel, one by land and one by air. How fun. . . But I can´t wait to see everybody and also eat random food like applesauce and pumpkin pie and salad. I would really enjoy a chicken salad sandwich on a croissant roll right now. Mmmm, let´s add that to my list of food to eat when I get back. Well, see you in about three weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment