Thursday, July 29, 2010

And my camera still has a foul odor



Buenas tardes a todos y todas, I am here to try and post my video again. I think it is going better today on this computer, but we´ll see. So to update you on my life in the past 24 hours, not a whole lot has happened, so I will bore you with insignificant details. I bought some oatmeal to cook for dinner, but when I cooked it and tasted it, it tasted really funky so I think it had gone moldy or something. So I was really disappointed and just ate some leftover rice that Andi had made.

Then I FINALLY finished reading Last of the Mohicans, which is only interesting in how much it frustrated me. I read the introduction after I had finished the novel, and it talked about all the contradictions but in a scholarly manner, whereas throughout the book I just kept saying, "Shut up you idiot! If I have to hear you contradict yourself with one more racist or sexist comment I may just rip out the page!" I didn´t of course, but I am not exaggerating when almost every single paragraph explicitly points out the fainting generally helpless women, the sometimes noble but generally uncivilized savage. It would be a very interesting study but as a pleasure reading it wasn´t exactly what I was looking for.

Then I took a shower (an actual shower in the sense that there was a spigot above my head) but then when I went to turn off the water it wouldn´t shut off. So I sat there messing with it for about 5 minutes when I realized that if I pressed down on the valve thingy it stopped. So I found some wire and wired it shut. Then I went out to visit the latrine, but in my efforts to avoid sitting on the nasty seat, and to see without being seen myself (since I didn´t have my flashlight so I left the door open) I ended up making the seat even more disgusting by peeing all over it myself.

Then I went to bed on the stinky stilt bed, but around 2:00 am I had to pee again, and the shower tap had worked its way partly loose so it was running, thus forcing me to climb down the ladder, visit the latrine again, and re-tighten the wire. After that I didn´t feel like I could get back to sleep right away so I pulled a book off the shelf which happened to be Alice in Wonderland. So I read the first few chapters, which is a great way to transistion into your own crazy dreams.

Then I got up, but had no breakfast food since my oatmeal plan had gone awry. So I got ready to visit the agencies I was planning on stopping by, and made a quick visit to the nearest fonda to get some breakfast. The breakfast they happened to be selling was stewed hotdogs and fried bread, but I was hungry so I made the best of that.

So I went to visit the ministry of health for the comarca region, especially because I wanted to get some facts on numbers of cases of AIDS around here, and learn how they handle treatment and prevention. So I talked to the guy in charge of AIDS among other things, and he potentially wants to come visit Chichica for the meeting that the equivilant of the county government is going to have about health and lack of followup involved. Then I had to take a cab to the piquera where I had to wait for a truck to take me to Guavo, where the social services agency for the comarca is located. I had to wait for an hour there while the person I needed to talk to made it to the office, and then I asked her about what they do for violence victims and invited her to participate in my workshop in October.

I was invited to a wedding lunch in Tolé this afternoon, but I got back here a little late and Bella wasn´t answering her phone to give me directions anyway, so I guess that´s a no go. And now I am here in the internet cafe and am planning on buying some groceries and heading back up to my house, most likely in the rain and mud. Luckily I brought my boots, umbrella, and numerous plastic bags. Once I get back there, I will make dinner and probably just relax. And that is my day.

And guess what, the videos uploaded!!! Yes!

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment