A flower by my house
Jenita, my new year dummy
Jenita with hair!
Hello everyone, happy new year! I just spent new years eve with Mile and am getting ready to go back to Chichica, but before I do I will take a minute to talk about this week.
Last week I was also here at Miles house and did the panamanian christmas thing again. This included eating Christmas food such as rosca, which is a wreath bread, turkey and potato salad, plus all the fruit cake you could ever desire (or not). I also made an apple crisp because it sounded good, and I ate most of it myself because apparently panamanians dont like sweet things as much as I do. Christmas here is celebrated almost exactly like New Years. presents arent such a big deal although they are exchanged, and everyone waits up for 12 oclock to come and wish everyone merry christmas. I went to bed early, around 1 oclock. Mile didnt even make it to 12 because he was sick. In fact, the whole family was sick, apparently because of the water. Normally the water in David is safe to drink but they say that while they were cleaning the water system somebody let in a bunch of dirty water that made a lot of people sick. So everyone was either vomiting or sitting on the toilet for much of the weekend. I missed out on that one, gracias a dios.
On Christmas day we went to Boquete with one of our professor friends from Chichica, Mario and his wife. It was a nice little day trip and an escape from the heat of David.
I got mile a pair of hiking shoes (yes I have ulterior motives in that purchase, I like to go hiking), but unfortunately they fit small so we need to exchange them. The monday after Christmas we went to the Costa Rican border to go shopping and Mile bought me some sandals. I can now say that I have been to Costa Rica, even if it was only a few yards past the border! The Costa Rican side wasnt as nice as the panamanian side due to the fact that they dont have money to pave the streets like panama, but they did have much better ice cream than I have found in panama. Rocky Road anyone¿
Once back in Chichica I had a lot of visiting to do to let people know that I was going to start English classes again, so well see if they show up. I didnt get to go to my garden like I had hoped because it rained every day I was there even though the rainy season is on the outward path, it was all I could muster to go visit people let alone the garden.
I had planned on spending new years in Chichica but Mile invited me back for new years and since all I was really looking forward to was burning Jenita, my new years dummy that I made, I took him up on it. Here they make dummies that represent the old year, and when midnight strikes you burn the dummy to start the new year free from the baggage of the old. I will burn mine tonight, hopefully its not against the rules and will still burn my baggage. . .
Anyway, New Years Eve here was much like Christmas, but less presents and more alcohol. We made tamales in the morning, I helped shuck and grind the corn. And after midnight Mile and I went to a party at his friend Jesuss house. It was pretty boring, the only thing that saved it for me was they had a grill going to grill sausages and steaks, so I took over on that job to keep me occupied. But they were blasting the reggaeton over like 7 speakers at the house and then through the jacked up speakers in some car, Im not sure why so many speakers were necessary but whatever. And since we were far away from the house and waiting for our ride, we waited around until four am and got fed up and called a taxi because it was really boring. Then I finally got to sleep! It is so freakin hot here, but I have to sleep with covers because the mosquitos attack me all night long, so I get to bake all night. But they still manage to get me, my legs are itchy! Im glad Chichica doesnt have so many mosquitos.
Well, thats my week in a nutshell. This whole blog is really no more than a nutshell, if I had time to write about all the crazy details that describe panama then this thing would be never endingly long. Well, prospero ano nuevo para todos alla, estan en mi corazon!
No comments:
Post a Comment